Psychiatric and General Medical Consultation
We offer both General Medical Consultation and Psychiatric Mental Assessments. Our qualified staff are equipped to diagnose various medical and psychiatric cases. For chronic cases, we refer patients to our Centre for
further observation and evaluation and contingent on the patients' condition, admission to the centre might be required
Drug Addiction/ Drug Abuse Testing and Assessment
We specialize in drug test and assessment which is the process of medical or psychotherapeutic
assessment for dependence on psychoactive substances and street drugs
Psychoactive substance includes;
- Prescription drugs
Street drugs includes;
- Cannabis (marijuana/bhang)
- Amphetamines e.g. Khat or Miraa
- Synthetic Stimulants
- Synthetic Stimulants
We help the patient seize substance abuse to avoid psychological, legal financial, social and
physical consequences that can be caused by extreme abuse. We also help the patient to
overcome various psychological disorders as listed here
Detoxification of alcohol and other Drugs
This involves administering medication to rid the body of toxins that have been introduced into the body by consumption of alcohol and other drugs. Depending on the duration of the drug dependence this process could take from a couple of days to a couple of
weeks. Detoxification is also contingent on the drug abused our experts will be able to advise you accordingly on the best course of action for your detoxification.
Medical and Drug Laboratory Testing
We have a skilled and knowledgeable personnel consisting of nursing aides that provide
professional medical care. Our ultra-modern Medical Laboratory is well equipped to carry out testing of both drug abuse and medical conditions with rather short waiting periods (on average 40 minutes) while providing accurate results.
Some of the important Medical Tests we offer
- Alcohol and Drug Testing
- Liver Function Test (LFT)
- HIV Testing
- Pregnancy Testing
- H. Pylori Testing
- Covid-19 Testing
- Malaria Testing
This service involves both outpatient and aftercare counselling services. An individual can come in for one-on-one basis counselling on various issues including addiction, marital and VCT counselling amongst other counselling services.
The experts on counseling are keen in following the stages of
change which are;
- Pre-contemplation - This is where the patient has
not yet come to
terms with the fact that he or she needs help. This can take up to six months
because the patient is unaware of his or her problematic behaviors. The counselor
encourages the re-evaluation of the current behavior and self –exploration so that
the patient is given a clear picture of how their behavior is harmful.
- Contemplation - This is where the pros of behavioral
known to the patient and he or she focuses on it. Then the counselor encourages and
promote positive outcome as required.
- Preparation - This is where the feelings of excitement
become stronger and the person starts to make actual plans about their actual recovery.
This stage is all about making a plan to accomplish it.
- Action -This is where the patient practice the
behavior usually between 3 to 6 months depending on their improvements. The
counselor encourages social support, bolsters self-efficiency for dealing with
obstacles and helps the client to combat their feelings of loss to reinstate long
- Maintenance - This is where the client has accepted
and made a positive
change in their lifestyle and is working to avoid relapse. The counselor make a
follow up on the client to avoid relapse, reinforce internal rewards and plan a way
forward after counseling sessions are over. This can take up to 5 years.
- After care -The counselor evaluates the triggers of
motivation and barriers to successful full recovery and plan stronger coping
Management of Psychiatric Cases
In some cases someone can develop chronic mental issues that cannot be cured but rather managed by a combination of pharmacotherapy and counselling. Our expert staff are equipped to deal with various chronic mental issues such as schizophrenia and Bipolar.
These conditions may vary in severity and may fall in one of the following categories:
- Anxiety Disoriders
- Bipolar and related Disorders
- Stress-related Disorders e.g. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) e.t.c.
- Personality Disorders e.g. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorders e.t.c.
- This is a brain disease manifested by obsessive and excessive substance use.
- The substances abused includes alcohol, prescription drugs, cocaine, heroin marijuana or bhang and etc.
- The symptoms of substance abuse include strong cravings to use the substance abused , social
relations problems where one loses focus on important societal activities and drug withdrawal symptoms.
- Some examples of these diseases are; Alcohol Abuse Disorder, Polysubstance Abuse Disorder, General Substance Induced Disorders, Drug Induced Disorder e.t.c
Neurocognitive and Neurodevelopment Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Anger management issues
- Grief and bereavement
- Relationship issues
- Sleep Disorders
- Eating Disorder
- Disruptive Disorders
Our expert staff are qualified to perform urgent care services from surgical to resuscitation services. Our well equipped facility is capable of offering urgent care services or offer assistance in transferring critical patients
to other facilities for critical care services. Some of our urgent care services include:
- Minor surgeries
- First Aid and CPR to injured individuals
- Access to life-saving drugs and equipment such as respirators administered in the case of respiratory or cardiac issues
- Attending to injuries including burns, cuts or blunt-force trauma which involves cleaning the wounded area, stitching if required and dressing the area and administering pain-relieving medication to alleviate the pain caused by the injury.
Our specialists are skilled and knowledgeable on how to counsel and carry out HIV/AIDS tests. We
follow the following procedure, i.e.
Pre-Test Counseling Process
- Reason for testing
- Symptoms or the presence of risk behavior
- Imparting basic information on HIV, including HIV transmission
- Personal risk assessment. It is undertaken to understand the nature and time course of
- Feedback of possible results in relations to personal risk assessment
- Assessment and discussion regarding capacity to cope with potential positive results
- Assessment of potential support requirements
- Development of a personal risk reduction plan
- Provision of HIV test information
- Informed consent
- Follow up arrangement for collection of result and other referrals e.g. STI treatment
Counseling for HIV negative patients
Counseling for HIV positive patients
- An explanation of the test results including information about the window period for the
appearance of HIV antibodies and a recommendation to re-test in case of a recent exposure
- Basic advice on methods to prevent HIV transmission, including avoiding the use of
non-sterilize needles syringes or other injecting equipment
- Access to drug dependence treatment and its effectiveness
- Guidance on the use of condoms, safe injecting advice( if possible, an appropriate supply of
condoms, sterile needles/ syringes and other commodities should be provided)
- The appropriate time for follow up test, based on the risk assessment and ongoing risk behavior.
- Inform the client of the results simply and clearly, and give them time to consider it.
- Ensure the client understands the results.
- Allow the client to ask questions.
- Assist the client in coping with the emotions arising from the test results.
- Discuss immediate concerns and assist the client in determining what social network will be
acceptable and available to offer immediate support.
- Describe follow up services that are available in the health facility and in the community,
paying special attention to OI/HIV treatment, PMTCT, and care and support services.
- Provide information on how to prevent the transmission of HIV, including provision of sterile
needles, syringes and condoms, and guidance on their use.
- Provide information on other relevant preventive measures, such as good nutrition, use of co-
trimoxazole, profylaxis and, if appropriate insecticide treated bed net and OST.
- Discuss disclosure of the results – when and how this happened, and to whom.
- Encourage testing and counseling of partners and children.
- Provide advice on other pathological test that may be appropriate (such as for liver function.
hepatitis B and C serology, pregnancy, X-RAY, sputum for acid-fast bacilli [AFB]).
- Assess the risk of violence, drug overdose or suicide, and discuss possible measures to ensure
the physical safety of clients, particularly women who are diagnosed HIV positive.
- Arrange a specific date and time for follow up visits of referral to treatment, care,
counseling, support and other services as appropriate( e.g. screening for and treatment of TB,
prophylaxis for OIs, STI treatment, contraception, antenatal care, OST, hepatitis B and C
screening, and access to supplies of condoms and sterile needles /syringes).
- Consider introducing the client to relevant team members who may be involved in future care.